• Obtained six-figure jury verdict against individual defendants and a country club on claims of defamation, harassment, breach of fiduciary duty, and conspiracy based in part on successful investigation and presentation of defendants’ spoliation.
• Obtained six-figure jury verdict on behalf of plaintiff against multiple defendants in real estate fraud case.
• Litigated multi-million dollar securities industry case to the eve of jury trial and leveraged the impending trial to reach confidential settlement.
• Obtained six-figure arbitration award for client who was not paid for the sale of his business because the seller mischaracterized company financials supporting EBITDA calculations upon which the stock purchase agreement based a significant earn-out payment.
• Limited damages to $50,000 in a FINRA arbitration in which the claimants alleged over $700,000 in damages against our client, a high-net-worth investment advisor.
• Won defense verdict at jury trial for tenant operating a discount mall in which the landlord tried to impose a month-to-month lease instead of an agreed upon 10-year oral lease.
• Using extensive factual investigation and analysis of statutory provisions, moved successfully on behalf of defendant for reconsideration of prior defense counsel’s motion to open default in action to domesticate $560,000 Hong Kong judgment, eventually resulting in dismissal of the action with prejudice.
• Obtained $1.1 million judgment in securities fraud litigation.
• Secured summary judgment on behalf of plaintiff in adversary proceeding, declaring state court judgment nondischargeable under federal bankruptcy code.
• Won motion to dismiss on behalf of defendant against plaintiff attempting to retain first priority lender status based on doctrine of equitable subrogation.
• Won motion to dismiss and defeated appeal over plaintiff’s attempt to negate a venue selection clause based on Illinois public policy.
• Negotiated favorable settlement of numerous citations against industrial lender, avoiding threatened regulatory enforcement action.
• Reviewed and perfected title and survey related issues for 1 million acres (valued at over $1 billion) of timberlands on behalf of a purchaser as part of the largest timberland sale in United States history.
• Acted as lead counsel in the land acquisition, development, separate construction, and permanent financing of nineteen student housing projects in eleven states, representing a total development cost of over $280 million.
• Represented a real estate developer with respect to the corporate restructuring and recapitalization of the client’s military housing business, including the negotiation of a joint venture for future development rights and the acquisition of six housing projects valued at $252.9 million.
• Negotiated a 99-year ground lease with the City of Greenville, North Carolina for the use, development, assemblage, and construction of a multi-family housing complex serving East Carolina University.
• Represented client in securing $33.7 million in construction financing for a mixed-use housing development involving preservation of historic tax credits in downtown Chicago.
• Represented client with respect to various government related loan programs for acquisition, construction, and permanent financing of multi-family developments such as HUD 221d(4), HUD 223(f), Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Business and Real Estate Transactions
6400 Powers Ferry Road, Suite 350
Atlanta, Georgia 30339
Jared K. Hodges
Ramsey A. Knowles